I can’t see a better solution to long-term chronic pain. There is no question in my mind that acupuncture is safer than surgery or drugs.
-Dr. Bruce Pomeranz, Neurosurgeon, University of Toronto
Do you have Sciatica? You are not alone…
Sciatica is a common ailment I see in my clinic, I know how frustrating it can be. And you think, “wouldn’t it be great if I could get rid of these pills, sleep great again, or be able to walk as far as I want?” I’ve helped many, many patients get rid of their pills and finally get their old life back.
One of my patients says,
I work as a “stager” in home sales, and my back went out after a difficult day of moving furniture. A friend told me about Dr Sparrow and so I had some acupuncture treatments, and in my case I felt better even after the first session! I was so relieved. It really can work!”*
*results, as with all aspects of medicine, vary from patient to patient
But did you know that…
- The National Health Service in Great Britain has stopped paying for MRI’s, back Xrays, and epidural steroid injections for back pain and sciatica and go directly to acupuncture because they want to save money and “only fund those therapies that work.” They go on to say ”Tens of millions of pounds are being wasted by the NHS (National Health Service) on useless treatments for back pain and sciatica, money that should be diverted to alternative therapies such as acupuncture…” In Canada, they have also shown how acupuncture decreases costs and increases results.
- X-rays and MRI’s do NOT correlate with pain necessarily. Often people with sciatica have normal X-rays, and people with abnormal X-rays have no pain at all.
- Stress, worry, and poor sleep all can make sciatica worse. Acupuncture can help with these problems too and so can lead to better healing. Dr. Sparrow is an expert in acupuncture for stress. Read more here. Her research is here.
- Though you should plan on at least 4 visits, some patients feel better after even the first session.
- You can do acupuncture along with physical therapy and chiropractic.
- Acupuncture is very safe. In contrast, recent medical treatments for sciatica have been recalled due to safety issues. For example, bone cement was found to be no better than a placebo and lots more expensive. Also, bone growth products used in spinal fusions have been decried as dangerous and useless.
- Heat, not ice, in conjunction with acupuncture is recommended to help reinforce the treatment and encourage blood flow and healing
- Some patients end up coming monthly even after their pain is reduced, since it keeps the pain controlled, and they enjoy the other benefits.
What you should know about Dr. Sparrow and her safe and innovative acupuncture techniques before you become hopeless about your pain…
- Dr. Sparrow has been practicing acupuncture for 16 years and is Board Certified in Anesthesiology and Pediatrics.
- She has a keen interest in her patients, prevention, health matters, and the research behind acupuncture’s effectiveness.
- You can follow her blog here.
- Please call (415) 775-0117 to set an appointment.