Will just summarize some of the tips from the Time Magazine chapter on Allergies
1. Global warming is making it harder on the 40% of Americans who suffer from seasonal allergies.
2. Americans spend $30 billion a year on allergy and asthma care.
3. One out of four turn to alternative medicine options
4.Butterbur is an herb which, if taken 4 times a day is as effective as Zyrtec, or Allegra.
5. Stinging nettle may be effective also.
6. Melon, cucumber, banana, chamomile, and echinacea can often trigger allergic reactions.
7. Neti pots were shown in studies to be MORE effective than conventional sprays over a two month period.
8. ACUPUNCTURE has been shown to have better symptom control than sham acupuncture treatment. (Disclaimer: Acupuncture was so effective in curing my own allergies years ago, that it spurred me to adopt a new career.)
FOODS THAT HELP
1. Nuts. Magnesium, Vitamin E thought to be the reason
2. Apples. Quercitin (don’t peel, the skin is key)
3. Fish. Omega-3 fatty acids have natural anti-inflammatory effects. (If you don’t want to eat fish algae supplements help boost defenses too.)
4. Red grapes. Resveratrol, another anti-inflammatory compound.
5. Tomatoes. High in Vitamin C helps to boost immune system. Lycopene, another antioxidant.